Friday 23 December 2011

Poker - The Beginning

On Tuesday the 28th of September 2007 I played my very first hand of No limit Texas Hold'em. I had an online betting account with Sky and clicked through on a banner advertising their poker software. A different form of gambling I thought, that'll do me. I took a quick look at the hand rankings, read that a flush beat a straight and figured I was ready to jump in and pwn. My first ever game was a 5p/10p, 6 max game and I sat down with a full stack. From that very first single tabling session I knew I had finally found my gambling Nirvana.

The first couple of weeks followed the deposit, withdraw or busto cycle at £50 a pop. Looking back now I'm not quite sure how I managed it but I was basically breaking even. Then things really took off and my only conclusion is that my poker career started with a gert heater. I somehow managed to spin up a four figure roll by two tabling with 50% of my roll on the line (lolz, BRM FTW) before I hit the ground hard. A bit of epic, soul destroying run bad (or run normal) and a shot or two of whisky was all it took to send me to bustoville.

I simply couldnt face the bullshit, rigged software ( :D lolz) for a while and it took me over a week before I decided to give the poker lark another bash. Like my first attempt I was racing through the stakes with the same trusted BRM in place (lolz) and before long I was into the K's. Its hard to describe how good I thought I was at the time. I was hearing people feltside saying how they had played for a decade or so and I was smashing em all to bits. I literally felt like the best player on the planet (uber lolz). To celebrate my godlike poker skillz I decided I should reward myself by taking the day off to buy a stockpile of my favourite tipples (money was tight due to personal circumstances and life run bad) before going on a day bender with a mate. The morning after the night before the first thing that came into focus was my laptop dangling off the edge of the coffee table with my two credit cards sitting beside it.  I honestly couldnt remember hitting the virtual felt but there was a chorus of "oh fks" going on inside my head.  When I gathered the required coordination skills I pulled the lappy close and logged onto my account. As soon as I saw the transaction history I was met with my all time, degen, worthlessness low. Not only had I spunked off my roll but I had hit my cards too.  What a fkn tool I was.  Thankfully I have never even come close to repeating this level of knobish degeneracy since.

Within a week the bruises had died down some (although the pain still remains) and as Poker was partly to blame for getting me into this shitty spot, poker needed to get me out it. I needed help and put in the first bit of work towards getting better at this crazy poker malarkey. After finding odds and sods online I found out about this BRM shizzle and decided I would try and do things properly from now on. I started to venture into the MTT games and even back then as a relative (or total) noob I could see that I had an edge on most. It didnt take me long to bring my credit card balances back to zero and I was gradually getting more and more seduced by that sexy MTT wench.


First MTT Score
I was still green as fk but I somehow managed to get to the FT of Sky's premier event, The Open. It was a 6 max game with a terribad structure but I was happy as a pig in shino to be sitting there with a monster 4/5BB stack as the FT kicked off. There were 3 big stacks and 2 with about 10bbs and like the noob I was it was all about the laddering and waiting for aces :D

In the first hand I was in the SB and one of the 10bb stacks ended up busting.  Then another busts taking me down to the final 4 players. I was so loving the rush of laddering like it was some 5th level strategy I had just invented (lolz). When the blinds came back round to me I had little more than 2/3bbs left and one of the most bizarre hands I've ever been involved in took place. The stack sizes of the villains ranged from 12bb upto probably 30bb with the big stack sitting to my right. First player to act Jams, button Jams and then I did my best laddering dance ever as the big stack in the SB Jammed. This was the first time Id sat on a final table with the top end being more than £200 and some of the prize jumps in this were more than that. I obviously fold my hand and cross my fingers that the big stack takes one of the other two players out. The players flipped the cards over and the big stack has Aces v 99 v X (another PP I think) and his hand holds. I found myself HU in one of the strangest FT's Ive ever played in even to this day. I obviously lost the next hand but the gods had delivered me a 2nd place payout of something like £1.2k/£1.6k (how I cant remember is beyond me, doh).  I think from that moment I knew I would be hooked on MTT's for life.